Des Moines Menace
Application Deadline March 15, 2012
This paid, full-time summer internship is instrumental in executing the PR and marketing initiatives that promote the Des Moines Menace, Iowa’s premier soccer team. Duties include:
- Planning and executing P.R. initiatives, including player and mascot appearances and participation in community events.
- Helping carry out the objectives of the organization’s marketing plan and youth programs.
- Writing press releases and web stories (previews, game recaps, and features).
- Creating timely and accurate game-day notes, stats and roster inserts.
- Engaging fans through social-media (twitter, Facebook).
- Creating and updating compelling website content.
- Updating marketing database.
- Assisting with group-sales initiatives, selling tickets on the phone and in person.
- Tracking media clippings and compiling a season scrapbook.
- Working in the press box at all Menace home games, either as a statistician or public-address announcer.
- General office work, including but not limited to paper-cutting, copying, managing databases, and filing paperwork.
- Other projects and duties, as directed by Menace Director of Operations.
In addition to these role-specific responsibilities, you will play an active role in the marketing and operations that drive our organization. You will also help with game-day set-up and tear-down for home matches, as well as any other duties to help the organization.
West Des Moines, Iowa
early May through early August
- Exceptional writing and interpersonal communication skills, with experience in social media, journalism and preferably graphic design.
- Working knowledge of the game of soccer, sports reporting and AP style.
- Experience recording and reporting soccer statistics in a big plus.
- Able to work under deadline and open to constructive criticism.
- Passion for planning and executing effective marketing/PR strategies that build brand and drive business.
- Self-motivated with a positive attitude, dedicated to the organization’s goals, mission and values.
- Proven team player who is willing to work nights and weekends and do what it takes to get the job done.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel, Outlook, Publisher, and PowerPoint.
As part of the same corporate family as Kum & Go convenience stores, all Menace associates are expected to uphold the company's values: Passion, Integrity, Teamwork, Caring and Excellence.
Employer: Des Moines Menace
Name: Adam Small
Title: Director of Operations