Application Deadline: Aug. 30, 2012
The Iowa Coalition Against Sexual Assault, in Des Moines, is seeking an intern for the Spring of 2012 to assist with the activities of the Women of Color Advisory Network (WOCAN), a statewide network of women from various professional backgrounds working to bring awareness to the specific needs to survivors of sexual assault who are persons of color.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Event Planning - WOCAN’s Monthly Communities of Color Organizing Workshops (MCOCOW)
- Communications - Using social media and online marketing strategies to promote WOCAN and expand our web presence.
- Outreach – Assist with partnership building with community organizations. Foster awareness of WOCAN’s programs in the community, maintain mail and email contact with partner organizations, research new outreach prospects, represent WOCAN at community events.
- Coordinate the development of an IowaCASA youth council.
- Development –Identify potential sources of funding to support WOCAN’s work and research trends in the anti-violence movement as it relates to communities of color to strengthen WOCAN’s ability to provide technical assistance to IowaCASA membership.
- Create, proofread, update and provide input on promotional and educational materials.
IowaCASA is a private non-profit organization whose mission is to unite people and organizations to promote a society free from sexual violence and to meet the diverse needs of survivors of sexual assault. IowaCASA has 28 member sexual assault crisis centers serving survivors of sexual assault throughout Iowa. Coalition staff work on several initiatives including: technical assistance and training to member centers; civil legal assistance for survivors of sexual assault, including immigration assistance; improving responses to sexual assault within communities of color; a national project providing peer-based assistance to other sexual assault coalitions; statewide sexual assault prevention; training for allied professionals; and public policy efforts at the state and national level. Learn more about IowaCASA on our webpage: www.iowacasa.org
Des Moines, Iowa
- A strong interest in working to end sexual assault and a commitment to working for social change.
- An interest in community organizing, social media and event planning to work in conjunction with IowaCASA’s mission and the work of WOCAN.
- Experience working with communities of color necessary.
- Must demonstrate excellent interpersonal, writing and oral communications skills.
- Seeking an enthusiastic, motivated individual who is able to multi-task and commit to 10-15 hours a week for a minimum of 12 weeks.
The internship is unpaid. Receiving academic credit can be arranged.
Employer: Iowa Coalition Against Sexual Assault
Name: Kendra Malone
Title: Information Specialist
Phone: (515) 244-7424
Fax: (515) 244-7417
Address: 515 28th Street - Suite 107
Des Moines, Iowa 50312
Post a Comment