Travel Writing Internship
Pedal America, Chicago, Ill.
Pedal America is a national television series about travel and bicycling. Each 30-minute episode explores a North American locale that travelers can explore by bicycle. The series aims to educate and inspire all viewers to rediscover the basic joys of cycling in national parks and local urban areas.
We distribute through American Public Television to PBS's 366 affiliates in 212 markets and PBS’s Create TV network. If you'd like to see a clip, please visit our website at www.pedalamerica.tv or http://youtu.be/LkiXueNt2J8
Must be a junior, senior, or grad student seeking college credit. No consideration given to students graduating this year and looking for a first job.
The Travel Writer-Editor Intern will work closely with the show’s Executive Producer, Producer, and website builder to write and edit rich online content that supports the show’s broadcast.
Core tasks include:
- adapting scripts to user-friendly online travel content.
- researching great bicycle travel ideas.
- building useful resources for our audience.
- working with Pedal America’s social media channels: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Pinterest, including blogs, wikis, widgets, and RSS feeds to strengthen travel content.
- updating the show’s website, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube with useful content.
- Basic knowledge and experience of web graphic design programs, multimedia programs, and HTML.
- Strong organizational aptitude.
- Strong online nonlinear feature-writing and editing skills
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Strong Internet research skills with the ability to find compelling and relevant content and keep up with travel/bicycle travel trends.
- Interest in recreational bicycling is preferred, but not necessary.
Is this a paid position?
- No, but can lead to paid position after internship is complete and if budget allows.
Hours per week
- 10 hours and an in-person meeting with the executive producer once a week.
- As soon as possible.
- Candidate will work from home. Needs to have own computer and Internet access. Ability to meet in downtown Chicago area once a week to collaborate on work.
Ira David, Executive Producer firstname.lastname@example.org
Write “CMA INTERNSHIP” in the subject line.